My research focuses on cooperation and conflict resolution. To date, I have approached the study of these topics by primarily examining the proximate causes of cooperation; including features of both the situation (e.g., communication, incentives, and self regulatory failure) and person (e.g., social value orientation, trust, concern for the future, and gender). I also study forgiveness as an important motivational process in conflict resolution.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Evolution and Genetics
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Interpersonal Processes
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Personality, Individual Differences
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Van Lange, P. A. M., Balliet, D., Parks, C., & Van Vugt, M. (2013). Social dilemmas: Understanding human cooperation. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Balliet, D. (2010). Communication and cooperation in social dilemmas: A meta-analytic review. Journal of Conflict Resolution, 54, 39-57.
- Balliet, D. (2010). Conscientiousness and forgivingness: A meta-analysis. Personality and Individual Differences, 48, 259-263.
- Balliet, D., & Ferris, D. L. (2013). Ostracism and prosocial behavior: A social dilemma analysis. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 120, 298-308.
- Balliet, D., & Joireman, J. (2010). Ego depletion reduces proselfs’ concern with the well-being of others. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 13, 227-239.
- Balliet, D., Li, N. P., & Joireman, J. (2011). Relating trait self-control and forgiveness within prosocials and proselfs: Compensatory versus synergistic models. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 101, 1090-1109.
- Balliet, D., Li, N. P., Macfarlan, S. J., & Van Vugt, M. (2011). Sex differences in cooperation: A meta-analytic review of social dilemmas. Psychological Bulletin, 137, 881-909.
- Balliet, D., Mulder, L. B., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2011). Reward, punishment, and cooperation: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 137, 594-615.
- Balliet, D., Parks, C., & Joireman, J. (2009). Social value orientation and cooperation in social dilemmas: A meta-analysis. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 12, 533-547.
- Balliet, D., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2013). Trust, punishment, and cooperation across 18 societies: A meta-analysis. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 8, 363-379.
- Balliet, D., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2013). Trust, conflict, and cooperation: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 139, 1090-1112.
- Joireman, J., Balliet, D., Sprott, D., Spangenberg, E., & Schultz, J. (2008). Consideration of future consequences, ego-depletion,and self-control: Support for distinguishing between CFC-Immediate and CFC-Future sub-scales. Personality and Individual Differences, 45, 15-21
- Joireman, J., Shaffer, M., Balliet, D., & Strathman, A. (2012). Promotion orientation explains why future-oriented people exercise and eat healthy: Evidence from the two-factor consideration of future consequences-14 scale. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 38, 1272-1287.
- Li, N. P., Yong, J. C., Tov, W., Sng, O., Fletcher, G. J. O., Valentine, K. A., Fann, J., & Balliet, D. (2013). Mate preferences do predict attraction and choices in the early stages of mate selection. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Van Lange, P. A. M., Schippers, M., & Balliet, D. (2011). Who volunteers in psychology experiments? An empirical review of prosocial motivation in volunteering. Personality and Individual Differences, 51, 279-284.
- Balliet, D. (2010). e-Research collaboration and the free-rider problem: Communication solutions to social dilemmas in computer mediated research collaborations. In M. Anandarajan & A. Anandarajan (Eds.), e-Research collaboration: Theory, techniques and challenges (pp. 277-288). Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag.
- Balliet, D., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2013). How (and when) reward and punishment promote cooperation: An interdependence theoretical perspective. In P. A. M. Van Lange, B. Rockenback, & T. Yamagishi (Eds.), Social dilemmas: New perspectives on reward and punishment. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Joireman, J., Strathman, A., & Balliet, D. (2006). Considering future consequences: An integrative model. In L. J. Sanna, & E. C. Chang (Eds.), Judgments over time: The interplay of thoughts, feelings, and behaviors (pp. 82-99). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Van Lange, P. A. M., & Balliet, D. (2013). Interdependence theory. In J. A. Simpson & J. F. Dovidio (Eds.), APA handbook of personality and social psychology: Interpersonal processes and intergroup relations (Vo. 2). New York: APA Books.
- History of Psychology
- Human Cooperation
- Introduction to Psychology
- Management and Organization
- Personality and Individual Differences
- Social Psychology
- Writing and Presenting
Department of Social and Organizational Psychology
VU University, Amsterdam
1081 BT Amsterdam
- Phone: +310681459096