My research focuses on understanding Human Cooperation. I use experiments, field studies, and meta-analysis to test evolutionary and psychological theories of cooperation. My work addresses issues related to (a) how people think about their interdependence in social interactions, (b) how people condition their cooperation to acquire direct and indirect benefits, and (c) understanding cross-societal variation in cooperation. My work on these topics has been published in top journals including Psychological Bulletin, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Psychological Science, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Personality and Social Psychology Review, Perspectives on Psychological Science, and Evolution and Human Behavior. I am currently Professor of Human Cooperation in the Experimental and Applied Psychology Department at the VU Amsterdam. I founded the Amsterdam Cooperation Lab in 2015 and am the recipient of an ERC Starting Grant.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Evolution and Genetics
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Interpersonal Processes
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Personality, Individual Differences
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Van Lange, P. A. M., Balliet, D., Parks, C., & Van Vugt, M. (2013). Social dilemmas: Understanding human cooperation. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Balliet, D. (2010). Communication and cooperation in social dilemmas: A meta-analytic review. Journal of Conflict Resolution, 54, 39-57.
- Balliet, D., Li, N. P., & Joireman, J. (2011). Relating trait self-control and forgiveness within prosocials and proselfs: Compensatory versus synergistic models. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 101, 1090-1109.
- Balliet, D., Li, N. P., Macfarlan, S. J., & Van Vugt, M. (2011). Sex differences in cooperation: A meta-analytic review of social dilemmas. Psychological Bulletin, 137, 881-909.
- Balliet, D., Mulder, L. B., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2011). Reward, punishment, and cooperation: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 137, 594-615.
- Balliet, D., Parks, C., & Joireman, J. (2009). Social value orientation and cooperation in social dilemmas: A meta-analysis. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 12, 533-547.
- Balliet, D., Tybur, J. M., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2017). Functional interdependence theory: An evolutionary account of social situations. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 21, 361-388.
- Balliet, D., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2013). Trust, conflict, and cooperation: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 139, 1090-1112.
- Balliet, D., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2013). Trust, punishment, and cooperation across 18 societies: A meta-analysis. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 8, 363-379.
- Balliet, D., Wu, J., & De Dreu, C. K. W. (2014). In-group favoritism in cooperation: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 140, 1556-1581.
- Gerpott, F. H., Balliet, D., Columbus, S., Molho, C., & De Vries, R. E. (2018). How Do People Think About Interdependence? A Multidimensional Model of Subjective Outcome Interdependence. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 115, 716-742.
- Joireman, J., Shaffer, M., Balliet, D., & Strathman, A. (2012). Promotion orientation explains why future-oriented people exercise and eat healthy: Evidence from the two-factor consideration of future consequences-14 scale. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 38, 1272-1287.
- Li, N. P., Yong, J. C., Tov, W., Sng, O., Fletcher, G. J. O., Valentine, K. A., Fann, J., & Balliet, D. (2013). Mate preferences do predict attraction and choices in the early stages of mate selection. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 105, 757-776.
- Molho, C., Tybur, J.M., Güler, E., Balliet. D., & Hofmann, W. (2017). Disgust and anger relate to different aggressive responses to moral violations. Psychological Science, 28, 609-619.
- Pletzer, J. L., Balliet, D. P., Joireman, J., Kuhlman, D. M., Voelpel, S. & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2018). Social value orientation, expectations, and cooperation: A meta-analysis. European Journal of Personality, 32, 62-83.
- Romano, A., & Balliet, D. (2017). Reciprocity outperforms conformity to promote cooperation. Psychological Science, 28, 1490-1502.
- Romano, A., Balliet, D., & Wu, J. (2017). Unbounded Indirect Reciprocity: Is Reputation-Based Cooperation Bounded by Group Membership? Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 71, 59-67.
- Romano, A., Balliet, D., Yamagishi, T., & Liu, J. H. (2017). Parochial Trust and Cooperation Across 17 Societies. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114, 12702-12707.
- Wu, J., Balliet, D., Tybur, J., Arai, S., Van Lange, P. A. M., & Yamagishi, T. (2017). Life history strategy and human cooperation in economic games. Evolution and Human Behavior, 38, 496-505.
- Wu, J., Balliet, D., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2016). Gossip Versus Punishment: The Efficiency of Reputation to Promote and Maintain Cooperation. Scientific Reports, 6, 23919.
- History of Psychology
- Human Cooperation
- Introduction to Psychology
- Management and Organization
- Personality and Individual Differences
- Social Psychology
- Writing and Presenting
Department of Experimental and Applied Psychology
1081 BT Amsterdam
- Phone: +310681459096